Hawaii Wildlife Rescue Volunteer Project
if you love helping animals and love the idea of warm weather and Hawaii - we have the perfect volunteer project for you!
Pack your bags, bring your togs and jandals and join this amazing wildlife sanctuary and rescue centre in Hawaii!
This project gives you the best of both worlds! This allows you to have the best of both words if you are having trouble deciding between a relaxing holiday at the beach and and making a difference with animals.
This project features wildlife and exotic animals so it's perfect if you are wanting exotic and wildlife practical experience for your studies, or just for your own reward.
This wonderful volunteer project is home to a wide variety of exotic and native Hawaiian species. The project is a private sanctuary located on five acres above the town of Kailua-Kona on the Big Island of Hawaii. The owners had a life long dream to work with animals and founded the Hawaii Wildlife Sanctuary in 1998.
As a true sanctuary, our facility will never be open to the general public. Our goal is to keep the animals in an environment as free from stress and hazards as possible. However, we try to share these animals with our community through teaching programs for school children, community lectures, private tours and an educational pavilion which we bring to community events.
Some of our Program Topics have included:
- The difference between wild and domestic animals (and which make good pets)
- What animals belong in Hawaii?
- How we communicate with animals without even speaking
- EXTINCT means gone FOREVER
- Now that these animals are here, how do we care for them?
- Our school program starts in the classroom with several teaching sessions and then follows-up with a field trip to the sanctuary.
- We are also fortunate to have offers from a number of other animal experts who are willing to participate in the teaching program as guest speakers from time to time.
Working with wildlife & exotics at the wildlife sanctuary is rewarding but physically demanding, and it is by no means an ’easy holiday option’.
You do have several hours of time off each day plus two days a week to enjoy all the Big Island has to offer.
This is why this option is the best of both worlds
- You will help care for our exotic animals on the Big Island of Hawaii
- The project is located closely to a paradise vacation village
- The centre is situated between the mountains and the oceans, so there is something for everyone
- Loads of photo opportunities
- You'll get to live and volunteer alongside other volunteers from around the world plus local Hawaiians.
Accommodation and Meals
5 dinners a week are included and accommodation is on site. You'll also be collected from the local airport.